William Hill Legal Questions
William Hill is a global player in the gaming industry, and is one of the few operators with a truly global footprint. William Hill takes it’s legal responsibilities very seriously and a result expends a lot of time and effort to ensure that it operates within the legal framework of each jurisdiction it operates in. The William Hill legal team is has negotiated with many countries around the world for licensing agreements allowing the business to operate in those countries. The fact is however that each country has their own laws and regulations around wagering, and as such challenges certainly exist in offering wagering products in some countries. This article will outline some of the information associated with how William Hill navigates the legal landscape of the industry in which it competes.
Is William Hill Legal in my country?
To find out if you can open a William Hill account and play at its casino or sportsbook from your country, follow the below steps for a quick and easy answer:
- Click on the button below which will take you to the registration form
- When you come to the address section, click “enter it manually”
- Enter your country of residence
- If your country is not allowed to use William Hill then an error message will appear not allowing you to continue
- If there is no error message then you can proceed to open your account
Is William Hill Legal in the US?
Sportbetting and online casino gambling was illegal throughout the whole country until the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) was overturned by the state of New Jersey on May 14, 2018. On that day, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Garden State and simulteneously opened up sports betting to any state that wants to offer it.
So far only a couple of states have legalised sportbetting, but more and more states are following states like New Jersey, Nevada and Iowa. William Hill’s race and sportsbook is so far only legal in New Jersey, Nevada and Iowa, though it offers a different selection of games in those states and under different legal conditions.
What Countries is William Hill Legal in?
William Hill is listed on the London Stock Exchange under the ticker WMH. It holds licences in the UK, Italy, Spain, Gibraltar & Australia. Due to its size and scale, it is one of the few bookmakers that truly has a global footprint. Will Hill can legally accept customers from 85 countries. Below is a table summarising the countries where William Hill is legally free to do business.
|United States (limited)||yes|
What countries is William Hill Legally restricted in?
Each country has its own set of laws and regulations which companies like William Hill need to operate under. If they are to comply with the local laws. The fact is that the gaming industry is heavily regulated in most jurisdictions which creates some unique legal challenges for businesses such as William Hill. This regulation involves the handing out of licences to operators who wish to legally do business in that country. Some of those licences are granted with specific restrictions which William Hill must comply with in order to be fully compliant with the laws of the land.
Below is a table which outlines the list of countries in which William Hill has the authority to operate legally in, with some restrictions.
|US||Only in NJ, IO, NV; New Jersey Player must register at www.williamhill.us/new-jersey/|
|Australia||Must register at williamhill.com.au|
|Italy||Must register at williamhill.it|
|Spain||Must register at williamhill.es|
|Germany||No access to Lottery, Horse Racing, Greyhounds, E-Sports, Virtual or Social/Entertainment bets|
|Latvia||No access to Live Casino or Live Games in download version|
|Ukraine||No access to Casino or Poker|
|Macau||No access to Casino or Poker|
|Macedonia||No access to Sports Betting|
From a legal standpoint, William Hill needs to comply with certain regulations in each country they do business in so they can satisfy the rules attached to their license. A common requirement on almost all countries is the identification of customers.
Customers must be over the age of 21 years old to gamble legally in the US and William Hill US has a responsibility to enforce that rule as part of its regulatory requirements. William Hill is legally required to demand that each customer verify their identity within 72 hours of the first attempted deposit. In recent times, this verification process has also been attached to anti money laundering requirements.
Customers may be asked to provide passport, driver’s license or a national ID card. In addition to that other documents such as a bank statement or utility bill to verify your address may also be required.
Customers in the US will also need to acknowledge the following as well as agreeing to our general terms and conditions to own a William Hill account:
- I acknowledge that all of the information provided within this account registration is accurate and that I am not a casino key employee or casino employee prohibited from wagering in a New Jersey casino or simulcasting facility.
- I am 21 or over and I hereby acknowledge that I am prohibited from allowing any other person to access or use my gaming account.
- I acknowledge that a prohibited sports pool participant, including an owner, athlete, coach, referee, manager, handler, or athletic or horse trainer, or any other person identified in N.J.A.C. 13:69N-1.1, shall not be permitted to wager on any event governed by the league or sports governing body with which they are affiliated. Any other employee of a sports governing body, or one of its member teams, who is not a prohibited sports pool participant, shall register with the Division prior to placing a sports pool wager.
The information can be sent off to the William Hill legal team via the contact page on the website. Users can use either the live chat or email functions available on that page, where instructions on how to do so are also available.
William Hill Legal FAQ
1. Can I access my William Hill account while I am abroad?
You may not be able to access your account when travelling abroad, depending which country you are in. For legal reasons William Hill must block access to its domains from ip addresses from certain countries, so no William Hill welcome bonus can be claimed there.
2. Do I really have to provide proof of my identity and address to William Hill?
Yes, you do. As stated above this is a legal requirement and being a listed publicly traded company, William Hill takes its regulatory compliance very seriously.
3. Which currencies can I use to fund my account?
|Hong Kong Dollar||HKD|
Countries where William Hill is illegal
|Selected US States||No|
|Central African- Republic||No|
|Democratic Republic of Congo||No|